Inter-Cooperative Council Logo photo: coopers on porch
Fall/Winter (2016-17)
Spring/Summer (2017)
Fall/Winter (2017-18)
Contact Us
Cost Breakdown
House Officers
Office & Ed Center
Deciding to become a member of the ICC is one of the best decisions you can make!  You will learn new things, develop leadership skills, meet wonderful people, and make lifelong friends.  Here are some questions and answers about the ICC co-ops. If you have any additional questions, please call the office at 734-662-4414.
For North Campus New Member FAQs click on North Campus (Renaissance and O'Keeffe Houses)

Office hours

What are the ICC Office hours?

The Rochdale Cooperative Center (337 East William Street, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48104) generally is operates under "normal business hours" of 9am-5pm Monday to Friday, and 1pm-5pm on Tuesday. However, individual organizations, departments, and staff members may have different schedules. Contact them directly (734-662-4414 and listen for the staff directory) to confirm their availability

The ICC Front Desk hours:
Monday 10 AM -4 PM
Tuesday AM closed / 1 PM-4 PM
Wednesday 10 AM -4 PM
Thursday 10 AM -4 PM
Friday 10 AM -4 PM
Saturday closed
Sunday closed

The ICC Finance Office has different hours than the Member Services Desk: Call 734-662-4414 x108 to make an appointment with Finance Staff.

Join FAQs

  1. How do I join a co-op?
  2. What types of contracts does the ICC offer and what are the ICC contract periods?
  3. Can I sign for only four months in the fall?
  4. What is boarding and how do I sign a contract?
  5. How do I figure out if co-ops are for me?
  6. How do I get in touch with a house to set up a visit?
  7. What counts as being a student and how do I prove it?
  8. How do I get house approval?
  9. What is a new member orientation?
  10. List of required items to bring to your contract signing.

How do I join a co-op?
After you have done some research, visited a few houses, and picked at least four you like, the next step is for you to submit an application.

Once you have received an email confirming which house you have a reservation in, please call to make an appointment to sign a contract. Our number is 734.662.4414 x100.

You need to come to the ICC office to sign a contract unless you are not living in the Ann Arbor-Ypsilanti area; in that case, we can email you a contract. Expect to spend a minimum of 30 minutes signing the contract and making a payment.
List of the document that you need to bring to sign your contract :

1. You also need to bring proof of student status.
2. A government-issued photo ID.
3. Your checking information. WE DO NOT ACCEPT CASH, CHECKS, OR CREDIT/DEBIT CARDS. If you do not have a checking account bring cash to the ICC office and we will send you next door to the University of Michigan Credit Union with a cashier’s check request form (cost: $4.00).
4. If you are not considered a student according to ICC policy, you will need house approval prior to signing a contract.

What types of contracts does the ICC offer and what are the ICC contract periods?
The ICC operates under two contract periods: Fall/Winter and Spring/Summer. The periods of ICC membership contracts correspond generally to the academic terms of the University Of Michigan College Of Literature, Science and the Arts. The standard ICC Housing Contract types are:
8-month Fall/Winter contract,
4-month Fall Only contract
4 month Winter Only contract
4-month Spring/Summer contract
2-month Spring Only contract
2-month Summer Only contracts.

Any standard contract can be signed when they are first offered. The only exception is Fall only contracts for New Members; they will be available January 16 of the academic year in question, and the ICC Membership Desk will contact the new member when a space is available.

ICC's Membership Committee may define other standard contract periods corresponding to specific academic programs. We currently offer this type of contract for the ICPSR sessions and the Global Reach program.

Non-Standard contracts are available during the Fall/Winter contract period and the Spring/Summer contract period. Fall/Winter Non-Standard contracts can only be signed beginning October 1. Spring/Summer Non-Standard contracts can be signed at the same time as standard Spring/Summer contracts.

For more information on contracts please call the Member Services Staff at 734.662.4414 x100.

Can I sign for only four months in the fall?
        A contract for fall term (~September-December) is considered a Fall Only contract.
Fall Only contracts are limited in number. Current members can sign Fall Only contracts beginning in November. New members can begin signing Fall Only contracts mid January 16th. There is a required $500 Fall Only Fee. This fee will be credited back to your account only if you extend your contract into the Winter Contract Period.
        If a four month contract is not available, you can sign a full Fall/Winter contract (September to April) and actively recruit someone to take over the entire winter portion of the contract (January to April). The drawback is that if you don’t find someone you will still be obligated financially until the end of the Winter contract (April).
For more information on a Fall Only Contract please call the Member Services Staff at 734.662.4414 x100.

What is boarding and how do I sign a contract?
If you do not live in an ICC coop but would like to eat meals in a group setting, then you may consider signing a boarding contract for an ICC house.  Fourteen ICC houses have the capability to accept outside boarders.  Some houses offer partial boarding during the Fall/Winter Contract Period for people with busy schedules or as a supplement to residence hall dining plans.

How do I figure out if co-ops are for me?
You've already taken the first step!    The website is a great place to start. Here you can search and learn about all the houses and find out a little about what they are like, what they look like, where they are, how many rooms they have, and information about house policies. 
Next, narrow down your choices and visit those houses you have selected. Our members love to meet potential co-opers and are expecting you to stop by and ask for a house tour. See rooms, talk to people living at the house now, and stay for dinner. The best way you’ll ever be able to tell what an ICC co-op house is like is to go and see the house for yourself! 
If you’re an international student or otherwise would not be able to visit the house yourself, it is very important that you contact the house president to ask any questions you may have about the house. The ICC membership office staff can help you with general information but the members in the houses are the best source for house information! 

How do I get in touch with a house to set up a visit?
You can find contact information for each house president online in Available Spaces section. . You can email the president before you stop by, or you can just come on over.  A word to the wise: if you'll be coming to visit during the day, contact the house ahead of time, as many of our members are at work or school.  The best time to see a house and meet the people is on a weekday for dinner.   Bring questions and an appetite. Also, please feel free to call or stop by the ICC Office for any information you may need.

What counts as being a student and how do I prove it?
The ICC is a student housing organization. You are considered a student if you are:
  1. Enrolled for at least 6 undergraduate credits during the period of your contract, OR, if the contract is for Spring/Summer, during the following fall.
  2. A graduate student officially recognized by your departments as an active participant in your program.
  3. A visiting scholar, an ICPSR participant, Access International student, or are part of another academic-related programs considered to be eligible by the Membership Committee.
  4. A staff member of the ICC or NASCO employed in at least a half-time appointment.

Accepted proof of student status (as approved by Membership Committee):
  1. A class schedule for the term in question.
  2. Unofficial transcript with student ID
  3. Letter of Acceptance on educational institution’s letterhead

If none of the above apply, you are considered a non-student, and must obtain house approval before signing a contract. Those taking fewer than 6 undergraduate credits are considered non-students.

How do I get house approval?
If you are considered a non-student, you need to fill out the Approval Request Form. The ICC Member Services staff will forward your request to the house president(s) and they will use the information provided to make a decision.

You are then responsible for contacting the house president to follow up on obtaining house approval. You can email them to give additional information about your situation. Each house has a different procedure for approvals; for instance, some houses may require you to attend a house meeting, etc.

Finally, the house president and another house officer need to notify the ICC office by returning the Approval Request with their signatures indicating that you have been approved before staff can offer you a contract.

What is new member orientation?
New Member Orientation is planned by the Education Committee and is required of all new members. It is a chance to meet people and learn about the ICC. You'll learn more about the history of the organization, get door prizes, and find out about services that are there for you to use and enjoy.

List of required items to bring to your contract signing.

Cost FAQs

  1. What are shares?
  2. What is a membership fee?
  3. What are monthly charges and why isn't it called rent?
  4. Why are house charges estimated? When will I know the real cost?
  5. Why are charges quoted per term? Wouldn't monthly be easier?
  6. When are charges due?
  7. Where does my money go?
  8. What is an assessment or rebate?
  9. What does it cost to join the ICC?
  10. How do I get my shares back?

What are shares?
Each member becomes a part-owner of the organization by purchasing shares, which represent a contribution to the working capital of the ICC. They do not constitute stock under Michigan Law, a damage deposit, or a prepayment of house bills. Each ICC share has a value of $10.00. Each contract type requires different share amounts:
  • For Fall/Winter housing contracts a member must buy 50 shares for $500.
  • Spring/Summer rooming and Non-Standard members must buy 25 shares for $250.
  • Boarding-only members must buy 10 shares (or $100).
  • Membership Committee approved Non-Standard members must buy 5 shares for $50. THIS IS THE ONLY TYPE OF SHARE THAT IS NON-REFUNDABLE.
The shares are refundable and are returned twice a year based on the end of the contract period with the ICC, not the date you leave, or necessarily the end of your contract. For more information on share costs and associated contracts, please inquire at the ICC Office. You may have to pay more to sign a different contract, like if you were a Spring/Summer member and want to become a Fall/Winter member.

What is a membership fee?
Aside from your shares, the membership fee is also paid up front when you sign your contract. The membership fee is $100.
Once you pay your membership fee you will never need to pay it again. It is a one-time, non-refundable fee. If you leave and come back, you are still a member when you return.
The Membership fee you pay helps to cover other fees or dues the ICC pays to other cooperative organizations that we are members of.

What are monthly charges and why aren't they called rent?
The difference between monthly charges and rent is a co-op. Rent is paid to a landlord, who pockets the money and usually makes a profit. Here at the ICC, there are no landlords, each one of us owns a piece and contributes charges to the whole organization. It sounds better too!
Each month members pay charges for services they receive from the ICC. There are two parts to these charges: house charges and ICC charges.
  • House charges cover your food, TV, and whatever else your house buys like newspaper subscriptions or party decorations.
  • ICC charges pay for the mortgages and insurance on our properties, ICC full and part-time staff, and costs incurred by the co-op as a whole.
  • Utilities – gas, electricity, water, phone and internet are all covered by ICC. A centralized rate is applied each month to all members.

Why are house charges estimated? When will I know the real cost?
Future Fall/Winter estimates on the “What will it cost” page are based on the actual cost to live in an ICC house during the current Fall/Winter contract period, and Future Spring/Summer estimates are based on the actual cost to live in an ICC house from May to Agust. Houses need money to pay bills before they have a budget meeting, so members pay our estimated cost for the first payment of a contract (May or September).
At the beginning of every term, each ICC house has a budget meeting where the members decide how much they think it will cost to live in their particular house. The members look at past years costs and then set a new budget. They account for many factors and preferences including how much it costs to heat their building, what kind of food they want to eat, how much water they use, and what kind of social events they want to host. Once the members of the house have decided the total cost to live in their house they calculate the cost per member per payment.
After the end of the contract period ICC staff members close the house books and find out how good the house was at estimating their costs. If house members spend less than they paid, they get that extra money back as a rebate. If house members spend more than they paid, each member is assessed for their portion of the overage.

Why are charges quoted per term? Wouldn’t monthly be easier?
Most of our members are affiliated with the University of Michigan (UM), so our contract periods follow the UM academic calendar. The academic terms do not follow calendar months, so neither do our contracts. For example, UM Spring term is from May 4th – June 25th and our Spring contract is from May 3th to June 26th.  The Spring contract is 53 days long and does not end on the last day of a month, so it doesn’t make sense for us to quote a monthly cost.
We do offer 30 day contracts to serve our members who are not University of Michigan students. If you are interested in a 30 day contract please call the Member Services Staff at 734.662.4414 x100.

When are charges due?
Charges are due on the first of every month via our online payment system.
Payments received after the fifth of the month will be assessed a $15 late fee.

Where does my money go?
Each month members pay charges for services they receive from the ICC. There are two parts to these charges: ICC charges and House charges.

  • ICC charges are set by the Board of Directors (which is made up of members from each house in the ICC). The money covers some of the bigger costs the ICC has such as, property insurance, major maintenance, property taxes, equipment, and staff. This money pays for things that everyone in the ICC uses (though may not see all the time). It also ensures that should a major cost come up at your house, the members at the house don't pay more because the money comes from each of us.

  • House charges are set by each individual house. This is the amount that the fall and spring house members at each house vote from the budget that the House Treasurer writes. These costs include money that the house has to or decides to spend on their particular house. This includes: food, heat, electricity, local phone, laundry costs, house furniture, house amenities like internet, magazine/newspaper subscriptions, cable etc. As members of the house, you get to pick what you want to spend your money on.

What is an assessment or rebate?
Each house sits down at the beginning of the contract period and elects house officers. At this meeting a Treasurer will be elected. They will be in charge of writing the house budget, working with food stewards to stay on budget, reimbursing members for house purcheses, and keeping the house informed on the financial status of house funds. As a house member you have the right to be informed of the budget and vote to approve or change it. You should also get a monthly update of your house budget at the house meetings. Ask questions about any money that has been spent over budget or without house approval.

At the end of the term, when all the bills have been paid everyone can see where the houses went over or under budget. Twice a year, at closing time, rebates and assessments are calculated. If you spent less money as a house than you budgeted, each member receives a rebate or more money than just their shares, or a credit on their account. If your house spent more money than you budgeted, each member will be assessed and the difference will be taken out of your shares or added to your account. Each house member is responsible for asking the Treasurer questions and staying on top of spending. Rebates are much better than assessments.

How do I get my shares back?
Shares are returned twice a year(March and October). If your last contract period falls anytime in Fall or Winter terms, your shares are returned the following October. If your last contract period falls any time during the Spring or Summer terms, you can expect your share check in March of the following year. After you move out of the ICC you should fill out a Share Return form. It is from this form that we will know where to send your shares and alumni information.

Because the ICC can have a lien against the member's shares for all debts to the ICC or to any ICC house, any money you owe to the house or to the ICC will be deducted or assessed from your shares before reimbursement. By this same principle, if you overpaid or are owed money from the house or ICC as a rebate, that amount will be added to your shares.

Living FAQs

  1. What about alcohol, cigarettes and drugs?
  2. What if I need some accommodation in housing to meet my special needs?
  3. What room will I live in at the house?
  4. Do I get to pick my roommate?
  5. Can I move in early?
  6. What do you mean by a work requirement?
  7. How am I a part of the decision making at my house?
  8. Does the ICC offer outside boarding to non-members? (Meal plans)
  9. What is new member orientation?

What about substances in the house like alcohol, cigarettes, and other drugs?
ICC members are required to comply with all applicable laws and ordinances. The ICC also has an alcohol policy: no ICC or house funds can ever be used to purchase alcohol. We encourage all our houses to post signs about the legal drinking age when they have a party. Any type of smoking is prohibited in ICC houses. All illeal substances are prohibited on ICC property and members should report them to ICC.

All illegal substances are prohibited on ICC property.

Some house policies allow for cigarette smoking in the bedrooms and or common rooms of the house. Others don't, and Gregory House is entirely Substance Free. Please look at the house pages for more information.

What if I need some accommodation in housing to meet my special needs?
The ICC is committed to making it possible for people who want and need our services to have access to them. If you have a special need, talk to the house president and the Director of Member Services about how we can make you feel at home and comfortable.

What room will I live in at the house?
Most houses invite the new members for the following contract terms to the last meeting in April to vote on a new president and pick rooms for next year. Room picks are based on house seniority, as determined by the rules of that house’s constitution.\

Do I get to pick my roommate?
Room picks are determined at the house level with the exception of houses with specific room contracts, such as Baker, Renaissance, and O’Keefe. If you want to live with a particular person be sure to let your house president know—especially if you want to live in a room with a person of a gender different than your own.  If there is only one space left in a house you may not be able to choose your roommate, but because our houses are run cooperatively, members may be able to negotiate other options at the house level.

Can I move in early?
The contract dates are set by the Membership Committee. There is a period between summer term and fall term where the comings and goings and room assignments at the house are in flux. This time is known as interim. During this period, members who are moving out late may overlap with members that are moving in early. Not to worry! If you know what to expect you can prepare for anything. Get in touch with your house president and find out when your room will be available and what can be worked out if you have to get in before hand. They'll be able to work it all out for you.

What do you mean by a work requirement?
This varies from house to house, however most houses require that each member put in 4-6 hours of work per week to make the house or organization run. The jobs vary from cooking to cleaning to being a house officer to sitting on an ICC committee or doing office work.

How am I a part of the decision-making at my house?
We adhere to a cooperative principle involving one member = one vote. Each ICC house is autonomous from the organization with regard to house policy decisions. At least one member from each house serves on and has a vote on the Board of Directors so each member is represented at the ICC board level. The Board sets policies for the entire organization by drafting proposals and voting on them. The policies governing the organization are gathered in a document called the Standing Rules.  Changes can be made to the standing rules through the proposal/voting process at the regularly scheduled board meetings.

Each member is intimately involved with the governing of their own house. House members elect a representative to vote on their behalf, and for the house as a whole, at the board meetings. Even though the Board does the day to day governing, each and every member together makes up the most powerful body in the ICC.

Does the ICC offer meals plans to non-residents (outside boarding)?
Yes, the ICC offers meal plans to people not already living in our houses, we call this ""outside boarding"". Not all co-op houses, however, provide this option, only the Boarding Houses do during the fall/winter contract period. and only some of the houses offer boarding during Spring/Summer.

Boarding contracts are a great way for the average busy student to enjoy a delicious home-cooked meal every weeknight. Please check with the office or view our amenities chart, here, to see which houses offer meal plans. Outside boarders must be individually approved by the house. Monthly boarding charges can also vary per house.

What is new member orientation?
New Member Orientation is planned by the Education Committee and is required of all new members. It is a chance to meet people and learn about the ICC. You'll learn more about the history of the organization, get door prizes, and find out about services that are there for you to use and enjoy.